Friday, July 17, 2009

Notes on coyotes

I've gotten some feedback on my recent article on coyote attacks in northeast Claremont. The paper's received 2 "Letters to the Editor" from residents recounting their own experiences with coyote attacks on pets. See below.

As a pet owner myself, I empathize with anyone who's lost a pet in such a horrifying manner. At the same time, I certainly wouldn't promote any vigilante justice against coyotes that I heard during interviews for the story. The foothills is the animal's native habitat and like it or not, coyotes are here to stay.

Some residents are calling on the city to do something about the aggressive coyotes. There are genuine concerns about a baby or child being the next victim.

But what can the city really do? Police and city officials have consistently said they won't remove coyotes unless it is posing an "immediate threat" to humans. Even if a coyote is relocated, they will eventually return to the place they were moved from.

The city certainly cannot kill coyotes. That's illegal.

The best thing is for residents with small pets and children to always be vigilant. This is especially true in summer, when coyotes are attracted to man-made water sources like sprinklers and pools.

Here's some tips from the city's website on living with coyotes. It might not be the answer people are looking for, especially those who've already lost their pets, but it may help prevent more deadly encounters in the future.



I read your article on the aggressive nature of Coyotes with great interest as I have noticed a large increase in my personal coyote sightings in Claremont over the past 28 years. In my own neighborhood I have not seen a cat prowling day or night for 8 or 9 years. But I was foolish enough to think that our family pet was protected behind the stone fencing around my home. I was discussing your article as my family and I left for dinner and upon our return two hours later at dusk we found our beloved dog mortally wounded in our back yard. My children were not only traumatized by the loss of their life long companion but by the carnage left behind. I think it is time that the city step up and recognize this as not an isolated incident but accept the responsibility for the safety and welfare of all it’s residence. I would ask that my fellow neighbors take a moment to tie a white ribbon around their mail box or tree in the front of their homes to let our City Government know how many animals we have lost so it does not take the loss of a human before something is done. – Mourning

After reading the July 15th Courier article about the recent increase in coyote sighting, I took a moment to reflect on the recent demise of our little “snuggle-bear.” It was a sunny Monday morning, just after 9 a.m. The trash collectors were traveling up and down the alley, emptying out trash bins. My daughter resting with a migraine. She cracked open the door from her bedroom to the backyard patio. Her 15 year cat, Snuggle went out to sun in a spot perhaps 4 feet from the open door. Suddenly my daughter said that something rushed by and Snuggle was gone. She called me at work and I rushed home. I search the alley behind our house but to no avail.

What we learned later was that yes indeed, a coyote had taken her. Two blocks away, a woman driving down Yale at 11^th saw a coyote with a cat in its mouth. She beeped and the coyote drop Snuggle. The woman was afraid but nonetheless got out of her car and tried to prevent the coyote from picking her up again. The coyote retreated to a den where she had pups. A neighbor who lives on Indian Hill was walking by and saw what happened. He scooped up Snuggle and told my daughter that he cuddled her as she died in his arms, telling her she would be missed.

Telling this story brings tears to my eyes. Not just because we lost our dear Snuggle-bear but also because of the kindness of strangers for a little black cat.

Yes, coyotes “were here first” but so what. They are no longer kept in check by their natural enemies bears and wolves. They have found it easy to thrive in cities where our pets are much easier pickings than the faster wildlife they are use to hunting.

Coyotes are multiplying and becoming bolder, less afraid of humans and more aggressive. There have been cases in the where small children have been attacked.

There must be a way to have a balanced discussion to develop a management policy.

- Deborah McVeigh

1 comment:

  1. I live right off foothill and town in claremont
    I have lost 3 cat's to coyotes.
    the problem is a lady come to foothill bld and feed the ferel cats and I really think this is what is attracting the coyotes to our homes. she put dry and wet food out everyday for about 25 to 30 cat's everyday. in the back of the bar on foothill. fryer tucks.
    we need help with this our own cats are dying

    ReplyDelete