Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Warning: aggressive hawks attacking residents


A hawk swoops down at me while I'm walking in the Metrolink parking lot Wednesday morning.

There's a couple hawks in town that aren't too happy about people entering into their territory. One is stationed at the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden. The COURIER's office manager Sandy Fasano had a close encounter with the bird on Saturday as she walked up a pathway towards the garden offices and gift shop.

Sandy said the hawk swooped down from behind and struck her on the back of the head. She nearly fell over by the power of the hit and let out a loud scream. "It felt like someone hit me with a basketball," she said.

This morning a reader called in to warn that another hawk was attacking people in the Metrolink parking lot on First Street. I went down there with my camera to check it out. As I was walking through the parking lot looking for the culprit, I got slammed in the back of the head.

The hawk then landed in a nearby tree, waited for about a minute and took another swipe at me. This time I ducked out of its way, but I managed to get a couple photos in. Clearly pestered with my presence, the hawk swooped down a couple more times before I headed back to my car, tail between my legs.

Claremont police showed up at the Metrolink lot a short time later to see what they could do, if anything. Lieutenant Shelly Vander Veen told me that they might post a sign similar to what's at the Botanic Gardens: "Hawks Nesting Agressive."

A community patrol volunteer will be stationed at the parking lot today to warn passersby about the aggressive bird.

The hawks probably have nests nearby and are doing what parents do, protecting their young. So take caution at the above mentioned locations, you don't want to get hit. I can attest that it is pretty painful; those hawks are strong and they aren't messing around.


A hawk flies back into a tree after a close encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment